AILACTD-L Archives

June 2017

AILACTD-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Daryl Close <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AILACT DISCUSSION LIST <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2017 20:51:16 -0400
Tony,

RE:  red herring of "the correct definition of 'argument'"

I agree with the main point of your post, viz., what function of arguments
should be emphasized in a CT course.

That said, I don't see the red herring part.  The discussion about
definition reminds me of Locke's famous treatment in the Essay, retweeted by
Voltaire as "Define your terms."  Isn't that where critical thinking begins?
In the case of "argument," the task may be mundane, even trivial, but not a
distraction.

Best regards,

Daryl

N. B.  There are likely core disagreements about arguments being essentially
persuasive rather than justificatory because we are each operating with
possibly different theories of meaning (deliberately or not).  Some of us
may think that meaning emerges from Gricean intentions, especially the
speaker's desire to cause a belief in the listener.  Others of us may take a
non-mentalistic view in which meaning is based on use that is characterized
independently of speaker intentions or beliefs (Davidson?, Kripke?).  The
latter take is relevant to CT because the principle of charity instructs us
to understand another person's speech in a way that best accords with the
facts or what is true; Davidson's "rational accommodation."  There are other
versions of the principle of charity, of course.  Just some thoughts.

---