PREMEDINFO-L Archives

December 2007, Week 1

From:
"L.Wood-Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L.Wood-Hill
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2007 13:55:37 -0500

<http://rs6.net/on.jsp?t=1101896675906.0.1101864567375.1180&ts=S0308&o=http:
//ui.constantcontact.com/images/p1x1.gif>

Thank you for referring so many wonderful students interested in PhD and
MD/PhD training opportunities through the NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars
Program to our recent conference calls.

Due to high demand and maxed out attendance on previous telephone conference
calls, we have scheduled an additional call for December 5, 2007 at 8:00pm
(EST) for those who wish to learn about funded PHD and MD/PhD training
through the NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars Program. We will also discuss
applying for summer internship and post baccalaureate positions at the NIH.

If you have additional students in mind to learn about these opportunities,
we encourage you to have them register for the December 5th telephone
conference call. Instructions for registering for the call are below.

Thank you.

  <http://d60354.u25.bachcsi.com/mailer/images/logos.jpg>
NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars Program
Scholarships for Students Seeking PhD or MD/PhD
Training in Biomedical Research
An opportunity for exceptional students to train at the cutting edge of
biomedical science--- an experience unlike any comparable doctoral training
program!

*To register for the telephone conference call and receive the toll-free
"800 number" and dial-in information, please contact:

 <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] or (301)762-6155

For further information about the NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars Program
please link to the NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars Program website at
http://oxcam.gpp.nih.gov
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001Ct9LlWVGOcCix-xhP11pv3mzAfYJNoHdRWxwoOdsSF194Z28
oKYSHL5zV7JQJoCb3gzL4y4sEQcjuXy4E5O3-UizvyyD7urC3wbx9ayVpYyn8CUlDOJKUg==>

Or email: [log in to unmask]

World Class Faculty and Research Facilities

PhD training typically 2 years at the National Institutes of Health and 2
years at Oxford University or Cambridge University

MD training component of the MD/PhD is available at top US medical schools
through the Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP)

Flexible and Individualized Degrees

PhDs in as few as 3 years; average of 4 years

Lab-based training and comprehensive advising and mentoring

Individualized and accelerated coursework and tutorials

International Collaboration

Advanced environment in which each student helps to design and lead a
scientific collaboration jointly conducted by NIH and Oxford University or
Cambridge University labs

Multi-disciplinary and Creative Approaches

Draw upon resources from across scientific disciplines and from around the
world to pursue discoveries and/or advances in medical treatments, cures and
preventative measures
Develop leadership skills necessary for success in scientific discovery

Fully Funded

Tuition, stipend, travel funds, health insurance & other forms of support
for research activities!

Scholars talk about their experiences in the NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars
Program below:

  <http://d60354.u25.bachcsi.com/mailer/images/sam-day.jpg>

Sam Day - NIH/Cambridge Scholar 2005 University of Arizona
"Things are great! I've just finished my first manuscript, which we are
planning to submit to Nature Medicine! Also, next month I'm giving a
presentation at the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
(ISMRM) annual meeting in Berlin. Not too bad for my first 1.5 years of
graduate school... the model for fast-tracking willing students is a good
one, and I hope that it sets the standard for a paradigm shift with regards
to graduate education in the USA."

  <http://d60354.u25.bachcsi.com/mailer/images/bhooma.jpg>

Bhooma Avaramuthan - NIH/Oxford and Marshall Scholar 2005 Michigan State
University
"I came into the NIH/Oxford program already having accepted an MSTP offer
from Wash U St Louis. I am pursuing my PhD/DPhil at Oxford and will then do
my medical training at Wash U. The program has given me the flexibility for
my medical and research training I've needed."

  <http://d60354.u25.bachcsi.com/mailer/images/jon-roiser.jpg>

Jon Roiser - NIH/Cambridge Scholar 2002 University of Cambridge
"For me, the Scholars Program was unique in providing the opportunity to
work in two first class laboratories, learning both different techniques to
investigate brain function, and complementary approaches to understand the
root causes of mental illness. As a result of the program, I was able to
secure a post-doctoral position in a leading center in neuroscience research
in London, which has subsequently led to a faculty position in just two
years. This is without doubt due to the high-quality training and teaching I
received during the NIH/Oxford Cambridge Scholars Program."

  <http://d60354.u25.bachcsi.com/mailer/images/julia-james.jpg>

Julia James - NIH/Oxford and Rhodes Scholar 2005 Hobart and William Smith
Colleges
"I came from a chemistry background and the NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars
Program allowed me to learn immunology quickly and become deeply immersed in
HIV vaccine research both in the Weatherall Institute for Molecular Medicine
at Oxford and the Vaccine Research Center at NIH. I have enthusiastic and
dedicated mentors that share my goal of having an impact on the global AIDS
epidemic."

  <http://d60354.u25.bachcsi.com/mailer/images/stephen-huffaker.jpg>

Stephen Huffaker - NIH/Cambridge Scholar 2002 University of Wisconsin
"I was able to complete my Ph.D. in the NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars
Program in a little over 3 years and discovered a series of new genes in
familial schizophrenia. I then decided to obtain my M.D. to continue my
research in neuropsychiatry. I received full funding from the program and
I'm now a second year student at Harvard Medical School. I had the
opportunity to give a talk at the annual Harvard MD/PhD retreat last October
and was pleased at the response (my favorite comment afterwards was about
how the NIH-Oxford-Cambridge program was the all the buzz and is becoming
"the top of the heap")."

Forward email
<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1101864567375&ea=marcia.cantare
lla%40hunter.cuny.edu&a=1101896675906>

<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=un&v=001ZfiuR_73g8oc2CYsi8r_j5by
9VQzcWEW6Icx5H7FedRJSxSfBBvwvkM6jcqKhbyVMOZo87FdWUbCb6bG6pep8A%3D%3D>

This email was sent to [log in to unmask], by

Update Profile/Email Address
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=oo&v=001ZfiuR_73g8oc2CYsi8r_j5by
9VQzcWEW6Icx5H7FedRJSxSfBBvwvkM6jcqKhbyVMOZo87FdWUbCb6bG6pep8A%3D%3D>  |
Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=un&v=001ZfiuR_73g8oc2CYsi8r_j5by
9VQzcWEW6Icx5H7FedRJSxSfBBvwvkM6jcqKhbyVMOZo87FdWUbCb6bG6pep8A%3D%3D> T |
Privacy Policy <http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp> .

 <http://www.constantcontact.com/home.jsp?pn=bachcybersolutions&cc=custom01>
Email Marketing by

 <http://www.constantcontact.com/home.jsp?pn=bachcybersolutions&cc=custom01>

IBRA | 9613 Reach Road | Potomac | MD | 20854

If you wish to unsubscribe from the PREMEDINFO-L List, please send an E-mail to:"[log in to unmask]".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF PREMEDINFO-L".